Although I believe the best way to ‘meet’ each other in a therapy or counseling session is face-to-face, this is not always possible.
Technology can contribute to an evolution in how people receive psychotherapy or work with a psychologist and, after all, the core of the matter is to have choices to find the support we need.
I offer both individual online therapy and couples e-counseling to provide the best possible ‘contact’ when physical presence is not an option.
I would like to provide you with some guidance to help you prepare for online sessions and tips to make sure the process runs smoothly.
It might feel uncertain to have some sessions online, but they can be of great help so long as you follow the sensible tips below. My goal is to create a safe and contained space to work with you. I have attended numerous sessions or meetings online with positive effects.
Video platform used: Van Mullen Meetings
Currently I am using this encrypted service which is free for you to access. You don’t need to download the program since it also works from your usual web browser.
I will send you an email before the session which contains a link to the meeting.
Please notice that you won’t be able to join the meeting until the agreed time and only once I admit you in the “meeting room”. You will be put in a virtual waiting room in the meantime, to prevent any intrusions as a session is being held.
Please make sure that:
- You have your computer (or mobile if you cannot use a computer to connect with me) set up before the session commences. This includes having your microphone and video turned on.
- The webcam is positioned at a sensible height so that I can see your face (at eye level, if possible).
- You do not have your back to a window or light – this can make it very hard for me to see you.
- There is adequate lighting in the room you are in.
- You will NOT BE DISTURBED for the duration of the session and that the door to the room you are sitting in is closed. If you are concerned about being overheard, you could use a Bluetooth speaker behind the door, either with white noise or music playing (not too loud of course).
- Whether you are using your computer or your mobile, please set any device including smartwatches in “do not disturb” mode, so you don’t get ANY notifications (emails, texts,…) that could distract you during our session.
- You have a box of tissues nearby.
- You have a glass of water nearby.
- You have not been drinking alcohol or taking drugs before the session where they may still be in your body.
- You do NOT record the sessions. I will not be recording any of our sessions UNLESS I have prior consent from you and this has been mutually discussed and agreed and a consent form has been signed by you.
- You will NOT let anyone else listen in to any part of the online session (via phone or any other technical device or in-person) without prior agreement with me.
As with face to face sessions, the confidentiality agreement still applies.